Thursday, August 23, 2012

Heart & Sssssoul

Yeah, I realize it's been a week since I've last posted, but here I am once again to chronicle my style musings. Since school starts in only five days, I'm trying to soak in the bitter end of my summer as gracefully as I can. I've been spending my time getting ready for class, reading more than usual, planning my wardrobe and nailing down my style icons for the semester. It's fall, the best time of the year for fashion (in my humble opinion), so hopefully that will inspire me to put together some really thoughtful pieces to tromp around the campus.


Yesterday, my favorite musician came out with the next video in the Visions series, Genesis! Grimes (aka Claire Boucher) is my favorite musical act out there right now, she makes electronic pop music, but her genre is hard to pin. Her persona is enigmatic and her music is from another world. I'd say that right now, most of my wardrobe is similar to Grimes (leotard + skirt combo is a staple), though played down a lot, and doesn't include the excess amount of beautiful, tall shoes that she rocks so well.

Here's the video, "Genesis"!


Most of these shots are from the new video, that is unearthly and captivating. Also, I love albino snakes of any kind (albino corn snakes, anyone?), so I was super psyched to see this beautiful boa making an appearance in the video.



Yes, that hat does say "PUSSY," and yes, she is about to pull out a sword.

Deandri "Olga" shoes, some of the most beautiful shoes around, and (by rumor) some of the most comfortable.


The video features a few characters, many played by Grimes herself, and pays tribute to the aesthetics of Anime, both visually and concept-wise. This video reminds me of the intricate RPG's I used to play back in high school, where you played a team of characters usually lead by a protagonist. My inner nerd is so satisfied by this video and I can't wait to see what Grimes pulls out of her magic hat next.


 I definitely want to incorporate more of those thick headbands she sports into my fall ensemble. Not only are they cute and chic, but they also appear very comfortable, unlike the headbands that dig into the sides of your skull, yuck.


Brian Lichtenberg glitter dress, *drool*


I love the swords in this video! There are so many swords -- I'm not used to seeing pop icons sporting such noble weaponry. Generally, I'm not used to seeing women portrayed weilding weapons within the whole realm of pop culture. Kudos to Grimes for pulling this off in such an awesome way. 



I also love how shiny this warrior's armor is as she walks through the sunny streets of L.A. 


 And that's that. I want to take some of the fun elements and textures present in this video and weave them into my own attire. I love the glints of light that reflect from the armor and the swords that stand out even more against the deep blacks and the array of saturated color that come from everything else in the video -- the hair, the snake, and the sandy, wet textures of the beach.

Grimes can pull of anything. Here she is in Lu La Loop.


Grimes carries herself with a carefree, dedicated attitude which is shown in her style and most of all, in her beautiful music. She is truly an innovative artist and exceedingly talented, and is beyond inspiring in all she does. If keeping up with her is not just to find out when her next music video will come out, it's to find out what color she's dyed her hair, for her locks are always changing in one way or another.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment