Monday, August 13, 2012

Vivre sa vie

I'm home from work with the bug that's going around, what a bummer. I bought a candle last week and finally got to lighting it at my bedside with a book and a cup of tea. Though just a small accent, I'm totally entranced by its little glow. It has made reading before bed even more enjoyable (though it's not a healthy bedtime routine to have, so I try to read outside of bed & during the day as well, so as to not make it an activity exclusive to sleep).

Okay, so today's post will be centered around the lovely style icon and french actress...

Anna Karina
Anna Karina, born in 1940. Starring in films by the legendary 1960's New Wave director, Jean-Luc Godard, here she plays the role of Nana in Vivre Sa Vie.

Anna Karina has been a personal hair-icon for awhile now. It started way back during my undergrad, as two friends gasped when I didn't know who she was, and immediately pulled up this scene from Vivre Sa Vie:


Just watching this again makes me want to cut my bangs. She is just so radiant and sophisticated -- who can keep their eyes off her? I wish to find my inner Anna Karina and channel that effortless irresistibility and confidence so essential to her style. If only it was that easy! In the past, I cut my hair as it is shown in Pierrot Le Fou (images below), shoulder length with bangs above the eyebrows. My hairdresser would always raise her own brows and say, "Are you sure you want to go that short?" and I would start to question myself. Thankfully it always worked out. Eventually, when I'm bold enough, I'd really love to give Nana's short bob-cut a try.


Ahh, I really want to style an outfit around this shot. 






And so here's to the beautiful Anna Karina. Isn't she charming? I found Godard's films on Hulu and iTunes, and at a video store in Chicago called Odd Obsession. I've spent many hours browsing the shelves of DVD's, oogling over the posters, and getting friendly with the owners cat and parakeets. They have a large selection of foreign and indie films that are difficult to find otherwise. I'm pretty sure they have the entire collection of Godard films.


Something to consider: after looking at all these spirited pictures of my favorite style icon, I think I'm starting to feel a bit better. Maybe Anna Karina has mystic healing powers that reach even those who view her belle visage through the protective screen of film. Is it true? Until next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment